SLS Georgia Contest
is bigger than ever—
with NEW contests and collaborators!
- Fiction & Poetry contest in collaboration with Fence Magazine:
- 1st place in each category—free airfare, tuition, & accommodations for the 2019 SLS Georgia program, and publication in Fence Magazine.
- 2nd place in each category—a full tuition waiver for the 2019 SLS Georgia program.
- 3rd place in each category—a 75% tuition discount for the 2019 SLS Georgia program.
- NEW First Chapter contest in collaboration with Graywolf Press:
- 1st place winner will receive a full tuition waiver for the 2019 SLS Georgia program, and online publication of the winning chapter with Graywolf Press.
- NEW Essay and Flash Fiction contests in collaboration with Scoundrel Time:
- 1st place in each category will receive a full tuition waiver for the 2019 SLS Georgia program, and online publication with Scoundrel Time.
- Additionally, a number of fellowships will be offered to participants across all categories based on the quality of their submissions.
- Submit your best work before March 7, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST
- Each submission must be original, unpublished, and accompanied by a $17 USD submission fee.
- You may submit more than once (and in multiple categories) so long as each submission is separate, and accompanied by the $17 USD fee.
- You may attach your work as a Word or PDF document.
- Your name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript itself, please.
- Your privacy is important to us. We will never rent, sell or disclose your information to any third parties.
- Fiction & Poetry Contest, with Fence Magazine
- Fiction submissions must be under 25 pages
- Poetry submissions may be up to 10 pages, with maximum one poem per page.
- First Chapter Contest, with Graywolf Press
- The submitted work must be unpublished.
- Submissions should be a single chapter or excerpt from the first chapter; not multiple shorter excerpts. It should be the first chapter of the work.
- Submissions must not exceed 25 pages.
- If you choose to include a brief passage to contextualize the reader (which is by no means required), this passage is included in the page limit.
- Essay and Flash Fiction Contest, with Scoundrel Time
- Submit a personal essay/piece of creative nonfiction OR a piece of Flash Fiction addressing any topic related to the general theme of threats against democracy and human rights, whether that applies to groups, cultures, individuals, or landscapes.
- Essays should not exceed 4,000 words.
- Flash Fiction submissions should not exceed 1,200 words.
Want to know what the Georgian currency is? Or where to stay?
Get answers here.
SLS Georgia invites leading literary instructors and advisors. More announced soon.
Not interested in the contest?
Apply with a writing sample
and a (non-refundable) fee.