The SLS 2019 Literary Contest is bigger than ever—with NEW contests and collaborators!
Deadline: February 28th, 2019 at 11:59 PM
- Fiction & Poetry contest in collaboration with Fence Magazine:
- 1st place in each category—free airfare, tuition, & accommodations for the 2019 SLS Georgia program, and publication in Fence Magazine.
- 2nd place in each category—a full tuition waiver for the 2019 SLS Georgia program.
- 3rd place in each category—a 75% tuition discount for the 2019 SLS Georgia program.
- NEW First Chapter contest in collaboration with Graywolf Press:
- 1st place winner will receive a full tuition waiver for the 2019 SLS Georgia program, and online publication of the winning chapter with Graywolf Press.
- NEW Essay and Flash Fiction contests in collaboration with Scoundrel Time:
- 1st place in each category will receive a full tuition waiver for the 2019 SLS Georgia program, and online publication with Scoundrel Time.
- Additionally, a number of fellowships will be offered to participants across all categories based on the quality of their submissions.
- Submit your best work before February 28th, 2019 at 11:59 PM
- Each submission must be accompanied by a $17 USD submission fee.
- You may submit more than once (and in multiple categories) so long as each submission is separate, and accompanied by the $17 USD fee.
- You may attach your work as a Word or PDF document.
- Your name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript itself, please.
- Fiction & Poetry Contest, with Fence Magazine
- Fiction submissions must be under 25 pages
- Poetry submissions may be up to 10 pages, with maximum one poem per page.
- First Chapter Contest, with Graywolf Press
- The submitted work must be unpublished.
- Submissions should be a single chapter or excerpt from a chapter; not multiple shorter excerpts. It should be the first chapter of the work.
- Submissions must not exceed 25 pages.
- If you choose to include a brief passage to contextualize the reader (which is by no means required), this passage is included in the page limit.
- Essay and Flash Fiction Contest, with Scoundrel Time
- Submit a personal essay/piece of creative nonfiction OR a piece of Flash Fiction addressing any topic related to the general theme of threats against democracy and human rights, whether that applies to groups, cultures, individuals, or landscapes.
- Essays should not exceed 4,000 words.
- Flash Fiction submissions should not exceed 1,200 words.