July 14–28, 2019
- Previous Summer Literary Series participants receive 25% tuition discount
SLS Georgia 2019
Inspiration to Writers
After the remarkable success of our flagship program in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 2017 and 2018, we will be returning in an expanded format in 2019, from July 14–28. It is a unique place.
The immensely rich literary tradition and culture of Georgia have inspired countless international poets and writers, including Alexandre Pushkin, Mikhail Lermontov, Osip Mandelstam, Boris Pasternak, and Marina Tsvetaeva.
Continuing a long-established SLS tradition our 2019 Georgia program will seek to foster cultural exchange, lifelong friendships, and artistic collaborations. Participants will work closely with Georgian international writers and artists. Our home base in Tbilisi, once again, will be the Writers’ House of Georgia — a magnificent breathtaking Art Nouveau mansion and vital cultural centre.
2019 SLS Georgia Program Features
- intensive workshops led by SLS instructors
- one-on-one consultations with writers and editors-in-residence
- talks about local literary culture, history and arts from leading Georgia experts in the field
- readings by our faculty, participants, program guests and leading Georgian writers
- visits to city’s and country’s cultural centers
- winemaking tours
- day trips, e.g. the caucus to various locations outside Tbilisi: the Caucasus Mountains, ancient mountaintop Kazbegi monastery in Stepantsminda, the cave city of Uplistsikhe, and others.
Georgia boasts unspoiled natural beauty, from the beaches of the Black Sea to the heights of the Caucasus Mountains. Infinitely multi-faceted, it is the mythological land of Jason and the Golden Fleece, the world’s first cultivated vineyards and winemaking, and the whimsical art of Niko Pirosmani. It is nearly impossible to capture its beauty and the sheer scope of its history and culture in just a few sentences.