After the remarkable success of our flagship program in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 2017 and 2018, we will be returning in an expanded format in 2019, from July 14–28. It is a unique place. The immensely rich literary tradition and culture of Georgia have inspired countless international poets and writers, including Alexandre Pushkin, Mikhail Lermontov, Osip Mandelstam, Boris Pasternak, and Marina Tsvetaeva.
Continuing in long-established SLS tradition, our 2019 Georgia program will seek to foster cultural exchange and lifelong friendships and artistic collaborations. Participants will work closely with Georgian and international writers and artists. Our home base in Tbilisi once again will be the Writer’s House of Georgia — a magnificent breathtaking Art Nouveau mansion and vital cultural centre.
The 2019 program will feature:
- intensive workshops led by SLS instructors
- One-on-one consultations with writers and editors-in-residence
- talks about local literary culture, history and arts from leading Georgia experts in the field
- readings by our faculty, participants, program guests and leading Georgian writers
- visits to city’s and country’s cultural centers
- winemaking tours
- day trips , e.g. the caucus to various locations outside Tbilisi: the Caucasus Mountains, ancient mountaintop Kazbegi monastery in Stepantsminda, the cave city of Uplistsikhe, and others.
For the intensive, wide-ranging workshops and seminars, talks and lecture series, our faculty includes such luminaries as:
Ru Freeman, Steven Heighton, Phillip Lopate, Geoffrey Nutter, Dawn Raffel, Ariana Reines, Stuart Ross, plus
Polina Barskova, Elaine Chukan Brown, Tara Isabella Burton, Kevin Sessums, Alexander Skidan, plus
Davit A. Gabunia, Shota Iatashavili, Sergey Gandlevsky, Linor Goralik, Zurab Karumidze, and many others TBA
Full faculty biographies are available here.
This amazing city and unrepeatable country — hospitable, beautiful, steeped in history and culture ancient and modern — have an inestimable amount of inspiration to offer writers. We never stop dreaming of Georgia.
Come write with us there. Be the writer you are.